St. Charles Parish Data
St. Charles Parish Neighbors
Welcome to St. Charles Parish!
|Welcome to St. Charles Parish, Louisiana Genealogy & History Network. Our purpose is to provide free resources for genealogical and historical researchers. This site is FREE and will always be FREE to all researchers!|
|If you have genealogy or history information to share, send an email to email@example.com and we will be pleased to include it here. If you have information for other Louisiana Parishes, please consider clicking on the Louisiana Genealogy & History Network link in the Main Menu and visit the appropriate parish. Thanks for visiting and good luck with your research!|
About St. Charles Parish...
St. Charles Parish, one of the original 19 parishes of the territory of Orleans, was created in 1807 from the county of the German Coast. The "Cote des Allemands" or German Coast begins 25 miles above the city of New Orleans and extends along both sides of the Mississippi River for 40 miles toward Baton Rouge. Today, this incorporates all or part of St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes.
In 1720, twenty-one German families from the Rhine region of Germany settled on the West Bank of the Mississippi river. These families had suffered horribly during the Thirty Years War and subsequent French Occupation, and had fled by the thousands to the New World, enticed by promises of great wealth promoted by John Law. These original German settlers were given small plots of land by Mr. Law’s Company of the Indies, a few primitive tools, and in return found hardships in lieu of the promised great wealth.
In 1721, 330 German immigrants led by a Swedish officer named Karl Friedrich D’Arensbourg, who worked for the Company of the Indies, arrived in Louisiana. Mr. D’Arensbourg was to play a vital role in the history of the German Coast as well as that of New Orleans. In 1722, Germans from John Law’s Arkansas Concession arrived in New Orleans demanding passage to Europe. Due to a lack of ships and supplies, Louisiana Governor Bienville persuaded them to remain, and they eventually joined the other Germans along the banks of the River.
The census of 1731, approximately 10 ½ years after the establishment of the settlement, shows that there were no farm animals in the settlement. This is evidence that the first settlers endured hardships in farming, as the land which was used for farming was all cleared by hand, and done under the most primitive of conditions. In 1765 and 1766, the first Acadians arrived in the area, and they too were given land along the River, and joined the Germans in raising the fruits and produce that was used to feed the city of New Orleans.
Besides the fruit and vegetables grown for the marketplace in New Orleans, tobacco and indigo were grown on the German Coast. Due to the large amount of swamp area containing many cypress trees and a large number of live oak trees in the area, lumber was also a thriving business venture.
By 1792 when Destrehan Plantation became the property of Jean Noel Destrehan and his wife Marie Celeste Eleanor Robin deLogny, the German Coast contained a rich mixture of Germans, French Creoles, French Acadians and Free Blacks. During this decade, both Ormond Plantation on the East Bank, and Homeplace on the West Bank were built.
The lands along the German Coast are flat, and slope from approximately 14 feet above natural sea level at the banks of the Mississippi River, to approximately 1 foot above sea level at the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Because the last 4 to 5 miles of land toward the lake are flat, level swampland that gives way to marsh as it approaches the lake, only 3 to 4 miles of land closest to the banks of the River was suitable for cultivation. As a result, the first serious attempts at levee building began around 1743. Though each land owner was responsible for building and maintaining levees along his property, these levees were usually only about 5 feet high and the area suffered disastrous floods almost yearly.
In 1928, test pilings were driven, and a controlled outlet for the flooding Mississippi River was created, aptly named the Bonnet Carre Spillway. The Spillway was opened just in time, for in January of 1937 one of the greatest of all recorded floods started on its way down the Mississippi River. In February, the Carrolton gauge registered 20 feet, and the spillway was opened for the first time. The great levee experiment was successful, and the area remained high and dry. Now, thanks to the protection provided by the Bonnet Carre Spillway, River flooding is virtually unknown in the Parish.
In 1803, Louisiana was sold to the United States in the largest peacetime land acquisition in the history of the world. For only $15 million dollars, the United States purchased most of the land from the Canadian border to the Gulf of Mexico, and straddling the continent from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains. The present boundaries of the state were set, and Louisiana was admitted to the Union in 1812.
In 1853, a major yellow fever epidemic struck New Orleans and its effects were felt along the German Coast. During this time, the priest at the Little Red Church (so named for its red roof that served as a distance marker for watermen on their way to the Port of Orleans) was a Frenchman named father Paret.
On the heels of the Yellow Fever Epidemic in 1861, Louisiana seceded from the Union and joined the Confederacy. During the War Between the States, St. Charles Parish was the scene of several skirmishes, but no large battles were fought in this area. By 1864, the area had two governors, one Confederate and one Federal. The Federal Governor was Michael Hahn who later founded Hahnville, now the seat of St. Charles Parish’s local government.
By the early 1900’s, industry started moving into the Parish. In 1907, the first sawmill in the Parish opened in Taft, the home of the Colonial Dairy Farm, one of the largest dairies in the state. In 1908, the Louisiana Cypress Company began to harvest cypress in the area. The Cousins Canal was dug, and by 1912, over 100,000 feet of board lumber was floated out of it.
With the discovery of oil at Jennings Field around the turn of the century, a new area of economic opportunity opened up along the German Coast. In 1914, Destrehan Plantation was sold to the Mexican Petroleum Company and it became the first of the River Road Plantations to change from an agricultural to an industrial economic base. Through a series of buy-outs and mergers, the house became the property of the American Oil Company, and the "Big House" was deeded by AMOCO to the River Road Historical Society for preservation.
With the coming of the oil refineries, related industries also located in the Parish. First, was an oil export terminal owned by Cities Service Company, located in St. Rose in 1922, followed in 1925 by General American Transportation Corporation and Coatwise Petroleum in Good Hope.
Oil was discovered in St. Charles Parish in 1938 at Bayou Des Allemands, Paradis in 1939, Lake Salvador in 1940 and Bayou Couba in 1942. The 1950’s saw the opening of Monsanto and Lion Oil Co. In Luling, Shell Chemical, Union Carbide (Dow St. Charles Operations), Hooker Chemical (Occidental Chemical), and the Bunge and St. Charles Grain elevators. Although the old plantation homes are gone, their names live on the location of the sites of many of these industries.
The parish has a total area of 410 square miles, of which 284 square miles is land and 127 square mile (30.85%) is water. The population recorded in the 1900 Federal Census was 9,072. The 2010 census recorded 52,761 residents in the Parish.
Neigboring parishes are Jefferson Parish (east), Lafourche Parish (southwest), and St. John the Baptist Parish (northwest). Communities in the parish include Ama, Bayou Gauche, Boutte, Des Allemands, Destrehan, Ormond, Hahnville, Killona, Luling, Montz, New Sarpy, Norco, Paradis, St. Rose, and Taft.
St. Charles Parish Records
Birth Records - The Louisiana State office maintains records for 100 years after the date of birth. Birth records are considered confidential for the first 100 years. For current information on who may obtain a birth record as well as how to submit a request visit the Office of Public Health, Vital Records Registry website or write to them at PO Box 60630, New Orleans, LA 70160.
Birth records older than 100 years are available through the Louisiana State Archives, 3851 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge, LA 70809. (225) 922-1000.
Death Records - The Louisiana State office maintains records for 100 years after the date of death. Death records are considered confidential for the first 100 years. For current information on who may obtain a death record as well as how to submit a request visit the Office of Public Health, Vital Records Registry website or write to them at PO Box 60630, New Orleans, LA 70160.
Death records older than 100 years are available through the Louisiana State Archives, 3851 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge, LA 70809. (225) 922-1000.
Marriage Records - For current information on how to submit a request for a certified copy of an Orleans Parish marriage record less than 50 years old, see the Louisiana Office of Public Health Director, Vital Records and Statistics website or write to PO Box 60630, New Orleans, LA 70160.
Marriage records over 50 years are stored by the Louisiana State Archives, 3851 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge, LA 70809. (225) 922-1000.
Divorce Records - To obtain current information on how to submit a request for a certified copy of divorce records contact the Clerk of Court. For the address of the parish Clerk of Court visit the St. Charles Parish Important Addresses page.